Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Alex and the Sand Incident

As I drove up to the carpool like to pick Alex up from school, I saw something that would make any Mom panic. The teacher was carrying Alex to the car and he was crying in pain. A million thoughts go through your mind when you see something like this. When she brought him to the car, she told me that another child had thrown sand in Alex’s face, and not just a little either. It was in both his eyes and his mouth. They spent a lot of time trying to rinse his eyes out in the sink, and had tried to keep him from rubbing them, but were afraid he might have scratched his eyes and suggested taking him to the doctor. On the way home, with poor Alex screaming in the background, I called the doctor’s office to ask what I should do. They made him an appointment for 1:30pm, so we had about an hour and went home to try to calm down. Once home, Alex did finally start to calm down and after that his eyes started to clear up very quickly. Within 30 minutes his eyes were all better. No redness or pain at all, it was pretty amazing. I cancelled the doctor’s appointment and was so relieved that he was all better.

The parent of the child who did the throwing felt awful and offered to pay for the doctor if we had gone. And the little girl wrote Alex a very sweet “I’m Sorry” card. No one saw the incident to know if it was deliberate or accidental, but either way, things like this happen on a sandy playground. I am sure it won’t be the last incident. Just relived it ended well.

No comments:

Post a Comment