Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, especially Paige. You could see in her behavior and her smiles just how happy she was. In years past, I know she has really enjoyed her birthday parties, but this year there was a new maturity to her. She was polite and calm and relaxed and just seemed to enjoy the moment. She loved having her good friends there with her. It seemed much more relaxed to me too. The farm was very calming and beautiful and the people were so nice and accommodating.
Paige was so comfortable with the horses too. She loved riding them, but equally enjoyed brushing them. I think this might be "her thing." We've tried a couple of different activities with her like dance, gymnastics and soccer and while she enjoyed them for the most part, it wasn't anything she was passionate about or truly took an interest in. She really enjoys swimming, but I don't think she will be on the swim team. I think it just might be horseback riding. I could be entirely wrong too. Time will tell, but for now she just glows when she is in the company of horses and seems at ease riding them.
For the party, we did all the animal things first. There were three horses to ride; Pixie, High and one other. They took the kids on a pretty long ride. While that was going on, 3 kids could ride on the horse drawn cart with Mr. Dave, the owner of the farm and a horse named The Colonel. Then we went to a different pasture and all the kids got to feed the goats. Alex wanted no part of riding a horse, but he loved feeding the goats and listened and did it just like he was supposed to. The goats were a lot of fun and there were a lot of smiles. After the goats, we headed back for a little more riding and the kids got to groom one of the ponies. I think the pony really enjoyed this part! Lots of kids with brushes.
After all the "horsing around" (sorry, couldn't resist), we had cake and ice cream. It was too windy for the candles to stay lit long enough for Paige to blow them out, and she was a little disappointed, but we made the best of it. After cake the kids enjoyed running around and playing with the baby chicks. Paige did end up opening her presents after the wind died down a little. She received a lot of horse themed gifts, which of course she loved. Again, the maturity came through as she opened presents. She took her time, enjoyed each gift and didn't rip into everything as fast as she could like in years past. I sat there wondering where my highly emotional, fidgety, loud child went? (Not that I am at all complaining!!!) We certainly still have those days, but it seems like they may be getting fewer and fewer.
Paige has a great group of friends, some from school, some from Church and some we have known for years and years. It was a great mix and of course, my Mom and Dad were there. This year though, we had a very special guest, my Grandma Sandwick. Paige and I were so happy Great Grandma could be there to see the horses and enjoy the day with us. We missed having all of our family here, but hope you all enjoy the blog and the photos!
No comments:
Post a Comment